So it’s mid-week and and it was such a long day today. I hope your day was better than mine. As I’m driving home, I kept thinking what should I have for dinner? Immediately thought of a sandwich. As you can see from the title of this blog, here is a nice twist to the traditional tuna sandwich. A much healthier option without the mayo. Hope you enjoy!!!
Quick Healthy Tuna Sandwich
- Sandwich Bread
- 1 Can of Tuna
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/2 Tomato
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO copied from Rachel Ray)
- 1 tbsp regular Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt & Pepper
- a few slices of Cucumbers
- Peel and dice onion, I used a yellow onion, however, any variety of onion will work just fine. Heat a skillet pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Please do not use EVOO, this oil becomes very hot quickly resulting in burnt food also all the rich and healthy properties of this oil are lost at high temperatures. Keep the title is mind… “healthy.” Moving along, sauté onions until translucent, lower the heat a bit, add pinch of salt to help release the water in the onions. Cook for 10-15 min stirring occasionally. Goal is to caramelize the onions.
- Meanwhile, prepare in a medium bowl, avocado (roughly mashed with either fork or potato masher), tomato (diced), tuna (strain all the liquid), EVOO, ACV, balsamic vinegar, salt and black pepper. Once onions are caramelized, mix together and place in refidgerator to allow flavors to combine.
- Next prepare a side, today I decided on baked french fries. I cheated by not making this from scratch. Oh… to keep this recipe at 30 min, preheating the oven should be the first step.
- Once fries complete, set aside to cool a bit and turn oven to broil on low setting for sandwich roll. Keeping with “healthy” theme, I used a whole wheat 6 inch sub which was lightly coated with olive oil to help it toast. Make sure you watch the bread closely. I ended up burning the first one.
- Once completed to your toast likeness, make you sandwich and top it off with a few slices of cucumbers. I also really like this sandwich with spinach or spring mix salad.
- Enjoy and please let me know what you think of my recipe!